Friday, September 12, 2008

Minot, N.D.

On September 11, a day etched in our memories, and a perfect day to talk about compassion, I gave a talk at Minot State University in Minot, ND. Minot is my home town and Minot State is where I graduated with my undergraduate degree. There are a lot of deep connections for me, including my parents and my uncle, who came to the lecture. It was a nearly-full auditorium of about 200 people. After the talk I signed books and talked to some people whom I have known since I was a child. There were also many young women in the crowd, one in particular named K.M.. She sent me this beautiful letter in an email: I cried during the presentation and after when I got back to my dorm. I had to call my mom back home to vent the emotions that I was feeling. I feel that I am now empowered to be who I want to be––and that's okay. For as long as I can remember I have been so scared of being judged and my mind has opened up a little wider and now I can look at the world with confidence and let them judge me. I will be able to retort "well, this is me!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home